2009-07-27

Starhub's Nitemare: Part 1

Starhub was having this promotion of 2Mpbs @ 19.36 for MaxMobile. This appeared to be the most affordable internet service & value for money as compared to it's competitors for the time being. Didn't want to get MaxOnline since I wanted the flexibility to bring it out if I were to get a laptop later on. Besides, my room doesn't have any LAN cable installed. The ancient PC didn't had any LAN slot either. Enthusiastically, I went to the AMK Hub's Teleshop to sign up for the package. Little did I know that it was the start of my Nightmare.

Reached home and tried installing the device on my PC. Installation was successful, but connection was not. Tried re-installing, disabling firewall and stuffs like that, but no luck. Decided to call up the Technical Helpline of Starhub. Apparently, it's not the "real" technical helpline, coz the person who answered me was just acting as a router to the real technician. Was told that the technician will call me back, but refused to give me a specific time. Told them I needed a internet connection urgently, but was told that they can only expedite the request as urgent. Well, everyone would have said that their request was urgent! Duh!

Was tired of waiting and called the Helpline again. Was again told the same thing. Apparently, they can only communicate via email, and there's no way they can connect the helpline directly.

An hour plus (3pm+) later, a technician called. The troubleshooting that we went through together was in vain. In fact, he appeared to be "googling" for solutions online as well! He started to conclude that it could be a setting in my PC and he already helping me out of his scope.

Was practically boiling at that moment. Told him I wanted to cancel the package since I won't be able to use it. Only to receive the news of having to pay for $500+ as I would be breaching the contract.

Wtf. I signed up for the thing 3 hrs ago, not able to use it a single time. Naturally, anyone sobered would have wanted to annul the useless thing!

Sensing my anger & frustration, this Brandon guy then offered to help me get some other expertise. I wanted a solution by 4pm, but was immediately told that it can't be promised. Asked how about 6pm, and he immediately said ok. -_-'''

Brandon called me at about 5pm+ and told me that his colleagues suspected that the problem could be the USB modem, and asked me to bring it down to the service center. He also added that even if his manager were to call me the next morning to discussing about termination the contract, "evidence" as support was required.

Frustrated but left with no choice, I went down to the branch at PlazaSing. Jean & Alice picked me up at my house and went with me. On the way, we tried that sickening thing on a MAC which Jean had borrowed with no luck.

The CS officer (Ampy) tried it on her acer which worked. Told her that I wanted to annul my contract without any charges, and was informed that that she needed to speak to her manager.

After some time, the manager (Christina) appeared. Told me that she can annul this contract without charges, but I am required to sign up another internet service with them. Furious, I told her outright that I didn't have any faith with their services at that point of time, and wanted to just get rid of whatever I have. Besides, I just signed it up today, and wasn't able to use it a single time. No way I am going to pay for anything or sign-up another contract. She replied that they couldn't just abide to all the customers with similar request. Rebutted that if there were that many customer making that request, there must be something VERY WRONG with their product!!

Christina then went away to discuss the matter with her sales manager (whoever that is). It was quite a while before she came back. Told me that they will agree to annul my contract without any cost. But they refused to refund my datacard which cost $37.45, and said they were already making an exception and it was the best they could do.

Jean then suggested that I go to the Small Claim Tribunal to fight for my case. Also emphasized to them that the process was going to be tedious, not forgetting the bad publicity & the high possibility of them losing coz I couldn't use the product at all, even if the contract has been signed.

Christina then went away to discuss the matter with her sales manager AGAIN. This time they've agreed to refund me my datacard. But since I signed up the product at TeleStation, I can only get my refund there. Was directed to the AMK Hub's Dealer and to go down immediately, only to receive a call from the dealer (Jun Han) that I can only get the refund another day. Reason being they need a so-called approval to refund me. Promised to get back to me the next morning on the matter.

Hope the matter can end soon. *Sigh*